Civil Engineering/Structural Design High Rise

QUESTION: Dear sir,
I am supposed to do a project for my final year. I dont want a research based project i am looking for a design project so can u suggest a good design project which i can take upon as  my project.
Waiting for a favorable reply,

Best regards,

ANSWER: Hi Hussein,

If you had browsed all my past answers with keywords " final year project topic thesis subjects", you would have found lots of ideas.

Some topics I have listed previously are:

1. High strength concrete
2. Durability of concrete.
3. Optimisation of structures.
4. Punching shear in flat slabs.
5. Long term deflection of concrete beams/slabs.
6. Modern methods of construction.
7. Blast-proof buildings

If you are homing in to analysis and design of tall buildings, you could add:

1. Manual vs computerised FEA analysis
2. Effect of element size on output of FEA analysis 3. Second-order analysis effects for tall buildings.
4. Steel vs concrete for tall buildings.
5. Earthquake resistant buildings, etc

For Tanzania, you could design a building in RC and steel and compare the advantages/disadvantages of both options.

QUESTION: Thank you for the advise.
Well i have opted for design of a multi story building. But my institution says its a common project and asks me to add more to it.
Can you please suggest what else i can add.
Can u also explain how to analyse for wind loading and earthquake loading.

Thanking you in advance.

Hi Hussein,

I am not sure what they mean by add more to it, but you could do something about optimising the design of floor slabs as that has a major impact on the design of high-rise buildings (need to minimise self-weight).

As for lateral loading, this is a complex subject that is not easy to explain over this forum. I suggest you study some text books or browse via Google and then if you have a specific question I will be happy to reply.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)