Civil Engineering/swimming pool

Question
Dear Sir

When we are design swimming pool it is required to design against upthrust in empty condition which makes base of the pool thicker and expensive or we have to go for some sort of anchoring system and design base accordingly. (I think this is correct)

sir my problem is, is there any system (say pressure releasing valve like something) to replace the above design criteria . ( as the tank empty condition and water table goes high very rarely mainly in construction stage)

Answer
Hi Priyantha,

Yes, there are one-way pressure releasing valves that you can use to prevent floatation of tanks when they are empty. You can also have a heel sticking out of the base of the wall, which would support a 60 degree (approx) slice of soil to keep the tank from floating, but of course you will still need to design the floor slab against the upthrust forces.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan