Civil Engineering/Concrete casting

Dear Sir,

We have casted strap footing and identified some wrongly applied reinforcement bars on the strap beam. So we are forced to demolish part of the footing which has the strap beam and we change the reinforcement bar and do the concrete casting again. I just want to know if there is any problem on the strength of concrete when we cast a new concrete to the old demolished concrete ( when i say old it is one week old)? Does this concrete will stick together as one body ?

Dear Solo

You must check the state of shear on the interface of the old and new concrete. According to codes you should provide shear reinforcement to carry the shear in the interface . If you have reinforcements crossed by the interface you may not to need to provide extra reinforcement. Check the shear in interface.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran