Civil Engineering/ETABS

Question
HI MR.ARSHAD

iam designing a B+G+7 BUILDING ( USING ETABS )using BS CODE
 THIS IS MY FIRST EVER MULTY STOREY BUILDING
  CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME KNOW WHAT CHECKS I SHALL MAKE AND WHAT SHOULD BE THEIR VALUES AND RANGES....

THANKS

Answer
Hi MBNR,

I suggest you study the watch and learn tutorials on the CSI website and also go through the Knowledge base. The main checks you need to make in your model inputs are for materials, sizes, connectivity, boundary conditions, loading, code parameters and overwrites, etc.

For the outputs you need to compare base reactions against various loads (gravity and lateral) and look at the deflected shapes and amounts of deflections and the bending moment and shear force diagrams. Also look at the tributary loading on to beams. The fundamental 1st and 2nd mode time periods for your building should be between 0.5 and 0.8 seconds- if they are not you need to look at your framing, shear walls, etc.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan