Civil Engineering/Design of steel structure

Why net area is considered in design of tension member and
not in compression member. Also state how to calculate net
area in design of tension member when it is connected by
one leg with gusset plate.

Dear Surajlaghe

This is because the failure criteria in tension member is simply governed by state of stress in critical section ( net area) but the reliability of the compression member is governed by its resistance against buckling which is governed in turn by general geometrical characteristics of the member and not the critical section properties of the member.

Net area should not be considered in combination with gusset plate. You should see the cross section extracting missing area due to holes or so.

Please let me know wether you got it or not.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran