Civil Engineering/E-tabs

Question
hello sir,
I'm a civil engineer student, and kindly i ask you for some explanations,
when i used to design in robot i used to assign a diaphragm behavior instead of the slab,
But why in Etabs although I've assigned a slab i also have to assign a diaphragm ?? please answer me as soon as possible with best thanks and  regards.

Answer
Dear Ali

Rigid diphragm is an ideal model. The slab modelling is a realistic model. You should select between these 2 models. You are not obligated to assign diaphragm when you have a slab. BUT you must get sure about the slab model to use it instead of an ideal diaphragm. If you are not sure and in the case of any doubt , you may need to use diaphragm constraints to model the slab action. Please feel free to ask me further in the case of any doubt.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi