Civil Engineering/moment redistribution

Question
Hello eng.Hakimi

First,Sorry for the inconvenience and  my long questions  ( the first two question are more important than others ) :

1- do ( etabs or sap or safe) have option for moment redistribution) ? if they have it , please tell me where it is .

2-Is not it very difficult to redistribute the moments for a full tower - as example - and design manually after analyzing in Etabs ? ! Is not there certain conditions and considerations enable me to design in etabs without redistribution of moments ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
3 - in "Ultimate Strength Design" we design for moment less than  Mu and Mp for all sections , that means there is no possibility for hinges to be formed thus we do not need to redistribute moment , isn't it right ?

4 - After analysis in Etabs ,  if we design without redistribution of moments , the results will be acceptable ?

Thank you very much
Best Regards

Answer
Dear Hassan

1- You Can do a push over analysis assuming nonlinear links at girders ends. It is not very hard to do exercise. You can perform it for entire structure automatically. I don't like a single file analysis because you may need to investigate in several views and have a sensitivity analysis.

2- After all you may know that redistribution of moment would provide you with a more efficient and economical design but you are not obligated to do .

3- The redistribution of moments is not a state which happens but it is a scenario to tune the margin of safety. The actual extreme load should me less than Mu , it doesn't mean that plastic behavior is not conceivable. But in any situation it is you as a designer that may decide about to have more advanced design or not.

4- You may guess that yes , may be it is more than acceptable to design without a moment redistribution, because this is your own art to choose your way to analysis and design provided that you don't pass the red boundaries of codes.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi