Civil Engineering/Type of foundation

QUESTION: What are the difference between Grillage Foundation and Raft Foundations ?

Please tell me the situations where both are used.

ANSWER: Dear Surajlaghe

Have you got your response in the link I sent?

QUESTION: sir,I got it.But still I am in confusion.

grillage foundation
grillage foundation  
Dear Surajlaghe

Grillage is a foundation consisted of rows of beams superimposed on each other in orthogonal direction laying on a reinforced concrete pad.  This is not usual because it is expensive. But it can be used where you need to reduce the compression stress  under columns to make it safe to load on a limited area of foundation.

Raft foundation is simply a mat foundation (a reinforced concrete slab extended in whole area of the structure area)   used in the case of soft soils.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran