Civil Engineering/LTB Query

Question
Truss
Truss  
Section-1
Section-1  
QUESTION: Sir,
In your opinion do you consider this detail effective in resisting lateral torsional buckling of the flanges. Stiffener plate can be considered as 10mm thick. This detail is part of a truss.

ANSWER: Dear Waseem

The stiffener doesn't do anything to keep away the beam from flange buckling. Stiffeners keep the web from buckling out.  The only way to prevent the compression flange buckling is a good lateral support like horizontal bracing or so.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Sir,
The stiffener plate is not along the web but as clear from attached image 1 that stiffener plate is on the plane of paper. The idea is that instead of using diagonal brace between bottom flange and the purlin we filled it up with thick steel plate.

Answer
Dear Waseem

A good support should prevent the compression flange to buckle. A local stiffening element make an integral section but not a mean to lateral buckling. An stiffener like what you used can be used to prevent the web to buckle.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi