Civil Engineering/Boundary zone location + Hordee

Attachment 1
Attachment 1  

Attachment 2
Attachment 2  
Hello Mr,

- Are there any means for determining and JUSTIFYING the location of boundary zones in an irregular core wall? {attachment 1}

p.s.:Etabs model is available, tried to view stress diagram in a manner as shown, which would make it easy to determine boundary zone location, but didn't manage to do so.

- How can I use a hordee slab system if rectangularity ratio<2 (i.e. 2-way behavior)? {attachment 2}

Hi Mohammad,

1.  You can consider the boundary zone as extending sideways into the L-shapes as far as 2XT past the wall plane, where T=thickness of wall in question.

2. You cannot design a Hordee slab as 2-way. You will need to intrduce beams as appropriate.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)