Civil Engineering/Damp/raft

I had a new house build 1 yr ago with a raft foundation. It is a double story building about 366m2. I am experiencing damp against the bottom of the walls more in the top floor.
The contractor says he has to lift all the paving around the house dig to the bottom of the foundation and damp proof. Does this make sense?
Any suggestions?

Regards and thank you for your time.

Dear Willem

No I don't think it is so simple to do. If the problem is from underneath of the foundation , you cant do real work. To prevent the problem your contractor would make basement with coarse gravel and blockage and construct the foundation on a  drained basement. With this knowledge  you can have control on  your contractor ability to manage the situation.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran