Civil Engineering/etabs design

QUESTION: sir, while designing a g+5 structure, in the bottom storey columns I m getting capacity ratio exceeding maximum limit. so I wanted to know how to fix this?

ANSWER: Dear Sagar

You should modify your design, and most probably increase the size of the members.

QUESTION: I hve tried increasing the size of the members, also tried increasing reinforcement size and grade of concrete but still I am getting the same. Can u tell me why this thing gets comjng up and on what factors does it depends upon

Dear Sagar

It is likely that the member is slender and local buckling is occurring, please check the size of the column. When instability occurs the modification in reinforcement doesn't make sense.

If no difference occurs you should start another model , may be a bug has made trouble.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran