Civil Engineering/Hordee + Boundary zone location

Question
Attachment 1
Attachment 1  

Attachment 2
Attachment 2  
Hello Mr,

- Are there any means for determining and JUSTIFYING the location of boundary zones in an irregular core wall? {attachment 1}

p.s.:Etabs model is available, tried to view stress diagram in a manner as shown, which would make it easy to determine boundary zone location, but didn't manage to do so.

- How can I use a hordee slab system if rectangularity ratio<2 (i.e. 2-way behavior)? {attachment 2}

Answer
Dear Mohammad

In a totally braced ( through bracing or shear wall) frame you cant justify the boundaries as you showed, because the total walls together transmit the lateral load to foundation. Then a column to column modelling of shear wall is valid just for structures with piecewise wall structures. If you can find a piecewise boundary in your system it is because your system is total and complete and the there is no section by section boundaries.

You can use hordy slab in any situation. You must differ between physical one way slab and geometrical one way slab. Hordy slab is a physical one way slab which govern your geometrical situation ( aspect ratio <2) . If you have a physical 2 way slab it may behave as on way slab if you use is with aspect ratios >2. For Hordy slab the physic govern the geometry.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi