Civil Engineering/reinforced concrete structures

why is that in overreinforced  structures concrete fails first?why is reinforced steel not able to reach its permissible value in that case?

Dear Pritam

Because in over reinforcement  the amount of reinforcement is so great that it doesn't fail before the concrete does. Suppose a chain with  just one strong ring and all the other being weaker. It is not probable that the chain fail in the strong ring. I n a chain with just one weak ring it is not probable that the failure occur in other rings.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran