Civil Engineering/Slab Deflection

Question
Hello Sir,
May you please point to me how including a drop beam may reduce deflection of a cantilever? Or is such effect only obtained in interior spans?

Is this somehow stated in ACI code?

Answer
Hi Mohammad,

The deflection of a slab is dependant on the loading and span/effective depth ratio, amongst other parameters (e.g, material property). By introducing a drop beam, you are increasing the stiffness (effectively the span/depth ratio) which will decrease the deflection.

This is a basic structural analysis/design principle and I doubt it is covered by ACI codes.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan