Civil Engineering/slab for house


We have a G+1 house the walls are 240mm brick wall (external) and 120mm brick wall (internal) we need to have an adequate concrete slab the slab will be held by the walls (No columns or beams) the spaces between walls varies and the maximum span (6.5m * 4.5m).

Now would you suggest a proper slab thickness? and whether we need a bounding beam underneath the slab or not?

And typical steel reinforcement for the slab (detailed)?


Dear Dzaie

You must consult a direct engineer for your case but for a general guidance you would use c35 concrete with at least 30 cm of thickness. You would better use a hordy slab ( joist type one way slab). If you use reinforcement AI according to US standards you would use at least T16 @15 in shorter span. After all, I suggest strongly that  you  consult your local engineer office.


Civil Engineering

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi


I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!


I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran

©2017 All rights reserved.