Civil Engineering/Structure engineering options

Question
First Floor
First Floor  
Ground Floor
Ground Floor  
QUESTION: My Question is
If a same building is designed for three different altrernates, which alternate would be the best adopted.
Building consists of large span halls at ground floor, spanning upto 70ft in one direction and 29 ft in the other direction. Only ground floor provides clear height of 16 ft. Upper floor have apartments and provide clear height of 10ft.
Structural Alternates opted were:
1-Providing deep beams at ground floor (for load of upper floors) and erecting pickup column from it for upper floors
2-Designing each floor for its own load as a waffle slab.
3- Provinding post tension beams at each floor
Please tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of using these three alternates. And which alternate would be the best adopted based on safety and economy.

ANSWER: Hi Salma,

The best option depends on local market conditions- cost of materials and manpower and also local expertise in post-tensioning.

If the latter is available, it would be best to provide PT beams in the 70 ft direction for all floors. If not, then the 2nd best option would be a waffle slab for all floors. The option of planted columns at 1st floor level is the least desireable, as that should not be used in conjunction with PT beams due to complications with incremental increase in loads as the floors are built one after another above.

QUESTION: What would be max depth of beam, if we go for PT beams in the 70 ft direction for all floors?
and also please tell me that does the column size in case of waffle slab is more as compared to ordinary beam column slab? Please give me the reson?
Thanks

Answer
Hi Salma,

The maximym depth depends partly on width, loading and materials strength, but as a rue of thumb, for a continuous PT beam you can assume a depth of around 4-5 feet.

The column size depends on loading, so whichever option is lighter will result in a smaller sized column.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan