Civil Engineering/Concrete

I am working on a project in which high strength concrete is used for column for a high rise building, but in the bottom column we found that there is powder formation in the the harden concrete.
the surface is fine but if you chip you will find powder and the again the concrete is fine.
What is the cause of this powder formation?
What is the remedy for this case?

Dear Junaid

I guess it is because of fine aggregates of concrete usually formed in corners and bottom of crowded (reinforcement) members. I guess you use super plastisizer which may cause such a powder formation. I suggest you to have tests on the cement which may cause such a troubles. After all to solve the problem I suggest you remove the problematic parts and repair the location.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran