Civil Engineering/ETABS additonal shear & torsion refinforcement

Question
QUESTION: Hi Engr Babak,

I had a problem in ETABS concrete design. How to input additional shear and torsional reinforcement on ETABS model just to cater shear and torsional requirements? When i exported the ETABS file to SAFE beam size passed flexural, shear & torsionally. Just want
ETABS and SAFE both should come up with same design.

Hoping for your kind response.

thanks,
mike

ANSWER: Dear Mike

Not a single software can do anything you need to do for you.Etabs can give you the shear and torsional reinforcement but as I know you cant define shear reinforcement. Try the design rather than the checking.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: thanks Engr Babak, how to minimize these shear and torsional values? When i do manual calculation beam depth and reinforcement are good enough for these loads. I had a problem with my ETABS design usually beams fail in shear and torsion, no matter how i increase size of beam still it fails.

Hoping for your kind response.

thanks,
mike

ANSWER: Dear Mike

I prefer to define a torsion hinge on end beam locations in most of the times. Twisting effect will remove the torsional moment. when you provide torsional reinforcement you force your beam to get moment. You must have an overlook on your design and dont follow the software but force it to follow your way and this is an engineering strategy.

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: Hi Engr Babak,

thanks for the strategy. But will the structure still be safe if i define a torsion hinge at on the end of the beam? I think will be subjected to more on flexural effect as this will be treated as simple supported beam. Im thinking the red color beams on the interactive concrete design i will do the torsion hinge.

Thank you for your kind response Sir.

mike

Answer
Dear Mike

When no torsional reinforcement exists the beam will free the torsional moment. You  are worried about torsional deflection. You must be aware of the effect. Suppose a cantilever beam connected across a beam. The cantilever will apply torsion to the support beam. In this case you must have torsional reinforcement , because twisting of the beam will let the cantilever beam to fail down. But if no direct torsion application is  present, you can follow what I suggested.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi