Civil Engineering/reinforced concrete

QUESTION: What is the boundary conditions needed for a rectangular section in water tank ?
since entering this section in ETABS for an example needs the boundary conditions to give results or an error will occur.

ANSWER: Dear Mahmoud

If you mean boundary condition in foundation level, you can suppose a simple hinge support in each node of rectangular plates.

Is is ok?

QUESTION: I mean in the water tank above if i take a section which will be a rectangular section having the water pressure as a load whats the boundary conditions fo this section ???

Dear Mahmoud

You will have a ring axial stress ( for circular tanks)[ for non circular flat plate tanks we will have moment]  + Shear stress ( parallel to hydrostatic loading) [ this shear is not distributed uniformly] + Axial stress along the height of the tank.

Actually you will have moment + shear which is decomposed to axial load and shear along the thickness of the tank. If the thickness is small enough the moment effect will change to a pure axial effect with no shear.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran