Civil Engineering/reinforced concrete

Question
QUESTION: What is the boundary conditions needed for a rectangular section in water tank ?
since entering this section in ETABS for an example needs the boundary conditions to give results or an error will occur.

ANSWER: Dear Mahmoud

If you mean boundary condition in foundation level, you can suppose a simple hinge support in each node of rectangular plates.

Is is ok?

Regards
BEH

QUESTION: I mean in the water tank above if i take a section which will be a rectangular section having the water pressure as a load whats the boundary conditions fo this section ???

Answer
Dear Mahmoud

You will have a ring axial stress ( for circular tanks)[ for non circular flat plate tanks we will have moment]  + Shear stress ( parallel to hydrostatic loading) [ this shear is not distributed uniformly] + Axial stress along the height of the tank.

Actually you will have moment + shear which is decomposed to axial load and shear along the thickness of the tank. If the thickness is small enough the moment effect will change to a pure axial effect with no shear.

Regards
BEH  

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi