Civil Engineering/SAP

Question
I want to ask that how can we analyse beam with moving loads? (in my case it is a crane). will it be designed as a simply supported beam or what? please give me any reference. I have to design a beam (find moment to be more precise) and it's urgent.

Answer
Dear Nouman

You must find the influence lines which give you the maximum influence of a moving load. You can try a simply supported beam, but you must be prudent about the deflections. Codes of practice are available for your help. you can try UBC, Eurocode, and so on. You can try a limitation of l/250 to 1/500 of the span of the girder as the deflection due to live load ( crane + capacity of the crane).

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi