Civil Engineering/SAP

I want to ask that how can we analyse beam with moving loads? (in my case it is a crane). will it be designed as a simply supported beam or what? please give me any reference. I have to design a beam (find moment to be more precise) and it's urgent.

Dear Nouman

You must find the influence lines which give you the maximum influence of a moving load. You can try a simply supported beam, but you must be prudent about the deflections. Codes of practice are available for your help. you can try UBC, Eurocode, and so on. You can try a limitation of l/250 to 1/500 of the span of the girder as the deflection due to live load ( crane + capacity of the crane).

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran