Civil Engineering/simply supported beam

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir

When there is a slab adjacent to shear wall

dead and imposed load will transfer to the shear wall.
is it require to have a beam along shear wall with shear link to transfer those loads to shear wall

ANSWER: Dear Priyantha

Common nodes between shear walls and slabs will make the mean to transfer loading from slab to shear wall.

regards
beh

QUESTION: Dear Sir

When design a simply supported single span beam,there is only sagging moment and shear is maximum at the support.

1. What will decide the top rebar of the beam. Normally it is provide 2T12 to hang the shear links. is it enough when the bottom is heavily loaded
(say 3T25 + 3T20)

2. Normally when design shear we have to find concrete shear stress. This depend on area of tension rebar. This means top steel or bottom steel

Answer
Dear Priyantha

1- A minimum amount of reinforcement is enough for top rebar, whatever being the amount of reaction.

2- D (effective depth) is related to the moment and the tension reinforcement. This means that you must recognize which one of the bars (top or bottom) or in its vicinity is working in tension.

regards
BEH  

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi