Civil Engineering/structures

salam respected sir
my question is that what factors we must have to consider in designing a high rise RC buildings and is there any thumb rule for giving a lateral moment to a column due to earthquake i mean that is there any percentage addtional moment that we simply add as a thumb rule in column moment which will cover seismic considerations for it.

Dear Zain

You can follow several methods like portal method. You can find details of them in structural handbooks. Percentage method is not so good for your purpose. Shear story must be distributed between columns. External columns bear half load than internal ones. You must assume hinge in middle of beams and columns.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran