Civil Engineering/structures

Question
salam respected sir
my question is that what factors we must have to consider in designing a high rise RC buildings and is there any thumb rule for giving a lateral moment to a column due to earthquake i mean that is there any percentage addtional moment that we simply add as a thumb rule in column moment which will cover seismic considerations for it.

Answer
Dear Zain

You can follow several methods like portal method. You can find details of them in structural handbooks. Percentage method is not so good for your purpose. Shear story must be distributed between columns. External columns bear half load than internal ones. You must assume hinge in middle of beams and columns.

REgards

BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi