Civil Engineering/Beam Design

Question
beam design
beam design  
Dear Sir

thanks for the masonry details quite helpful.

my question is how do i design beam A and Beam 1 in the attached image? my thoughts are, i should choose one of the beams to be secondary beam so it will be a point load on the other beam! but my other question is how do we treat the circled joint example if i choose beam A to be a secondary beam then it will be a point load on the circled joint to beam 1 but will i consider any existence of support on beam 1 at this point or just the two columns and no support at the joint just the point load?

thanks a lot.

Answer
Hi Manka,

You should consider Beam A as main beam as it is shorter span and therefore stiffer as far as deflection is concerned. Then you can consider the reaction from Beam 1 as point load. Ensure that the bottom rebar of Beam A is lower than the bottom rebar of Beam 1 at the cross-over. It would be far better, to avoid rebar clash, to make Beam A about 50mm deeper than Beam 1. Then for Beam 1, you can consider a support at mid-span.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan