Civil Engineering/Masonry Building

Question
Dear Sir

hope you are well!

my question is there is a building which was designed for the concrete block walls to be load bearing with no any column. now the client want to add one more floor it was just a single floor with reinforced concrete slab and beams. now i was wondering what steps should i follow in order to say if they can or cannot add the floor??
my thoughts: i calculated the dead loads and live loads and then transfer them to the ground floor and then designed the wall for that total load with an additional floor in it, the wall did not fail so can i decide this way?the foundation is also okay!

is there any limitation of spans of beams and slabs in a masonry building?

what is the maximum number of storeys for the masonry structure?

thanks a lot.

Answer
Hi Manka,

In Kenya the limit for load-bearing blockwall construction is 4 storeys, and so long as you design them properly and local bearing stresses on blockwork is OK, the slabs/beams can be any span.

I would ensure that you incorporate a ring beam at 1st floor level and at roof level and try and connect the two with nominal 200x200 RC columns at all 4 outside corners of the building- extend these columns down to the foundation and you will end up with a robust building!

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan