Civil Engineering/modeling assumption

Dear Arshad,
i have a project in doha, Qatar with the following data:
1- 3 basements (30,000 m2 each) WITHOUT any expansion joint,
2- ground floor above basement also without expansion joint.
3- above ground floor level a have multi towers (5), my question is , how can i model this huge project by making a good assumptions to take each tower alone and have 6 seperate models ( 6 working enginners). if i model every tower above groud alone (groud floor is the base)then how can i model and DESIGN my vertical elements under groud ( in basements level).

thanks in advance sir,and sorry for the too much writing

best regards, God bless you!

Hi Robert,

I would make the basements model from one level below GFL, to simulate flexibility of upper walls. Then generate the 5 models from -1 level as base. Run all 5 models, get the support forces for all combinations and apply them to the basement model for design of basement walls, columns and foundations.

This assumption will be valid for the basement designs if most of the towers are similar heights and with similar natural periods of vibration. If not, and if seismic forces are to be catered for, the simulation becomes less accurate due to simultaneous out-of phase responses of the towers.

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan

I can answer any questions to do with civil and structural engineering consultancy and construction industry in East Africa and the Middle East, and specifically with the analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. My particular expertise is in the aseismic design and optimisation of tall buildings.

Employment history: 40 years in Construction and consultancy in the UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Africa, Somalia, Zambia, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, Doha and the U.A.E.

.Fellow of Institution of Structural Engineers (UK) .Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers(UK) .Member of the Institution of Engineers, Kenya .Registered Engineer, ERB, Kenya .Member of the Architectural Association of Kenya (Engineers Chapter) .Chartered Engineer (UK)

•1984: International Conference on the Art and Practice of Structural Design, London •1994: 3rd Int. Kerensky Conference in Structural Engineering, Singapore •2008: International Conference on High-Rise Towers, Abu Dhabi •2013: IEK International Conference, Kisumu, Kenya

BSc, 1st Class Hons, in Building Engineering, University of Bath, UK MSc in Concrete Structures and Technology, University of London. Diploma of Imperial College, UK.

•Science Congress Special Award (for 2-seater Hovercraft - 1968) •Institution of Civil Engineers Award for outstanding performance at Bath University (1975) •Concrete Society Postgraduate study Bursary Award (1976) •Consular Representative for British High Commission, Nairobi. (1995 to 1998) •Examiner for Institution of Civil Engineers Professional Interviews, Nairobi. (1997 to 1998) •Branch Representative in Vienna for PI assessment for Inst. of Struct. Engrs. (1999 to 2010)