Civil Engineering/Query on Column supporting on retaining wall

Question
Steel column supporting on Rwall
Steel column supportin  
Dear Sir,

How are you?
This is Phani Chandra from hyderabad. I had one query on the column supporting on retaining wall.
My retaining wall is of 400mm width and depth is 4200mm. on that a steel column of 450mm Dia is resting. So, Kindly provide your suggestion on how to strengthen the retaining wall to support the steel column.
Phani Chandra

Answer
Dear Phani

1- You can define a reinforced concrete column inherent in shear wall. A hidden column is designed like a non hidden column.

2- The results of analysis can help you to design a proper shear wall to behave as a pedestal.

3- You should be careful about the design of base plate or any device behaving as connection members.

4- I suggest you not to take into account the column part of shear wall to bear shear due to lateral loading.

Regards
BEH  

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi