Civil Engineering/Query on Column supporting on retaining wall

Steel column supporting on Rwall
Steel column supportin  
Dear Sir,

How are you?
This is Phani Chandra from hyderabad. I had one query on the column supporting on retaining wall.
My retaining wall is of 400mm width and depth is 4200mm. on that a steel column of 450mm Dia is resting. So, Kindly provide your suggestion on how to strengthen the retaining wall to support the steel column.
Phani Chandra

Dear Phani

1- You can define a reinforced concrete column inherent in shear wall. A hidden column is designed like a non hidden column.

2- The results of analysis can help you to design a proper shear wall to behave as a pedestal.

3- You should be careful about the design of base plate or any device behaving as connection members.

4- I suggest you not to take into account the column part of shear wall to bear shear due to lateral loading.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran