Civil Engineering/retrofitting of structures

Question
Hello sir,

My query is as follows :-

a) Is it useful to retrofit a existing structure if it is surrounded by other non-retrofitting structures (wall to wall connected to other structures)?

b) will it prevent the building in case of an substantail earthquake?

c) if yes........... what is the expected approximate expenditure to retrofit an existing building?

Answer
Dear Amit

It is depending on the fact that you can do the retrofitting using the internal spaces of the building or not. But you should have in mind that the lateral effect of a collapse neighbor building could affect yours. But after all this is not a reason for you not to retrofit your building. Your engineering judgements could help you through the problem. I belive an expense of not more than 30% of the value of the existing building could be a good criteria. But you can increase this fee to 50% or even more  according to your strategy. For example for a valuable historic building there is not a real economical barrier for retrofitting.

Regards

BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi