Civil Engineering/Road Base without MC-Sealant

Question
Dear Sir,

We have a highway project and the contractor has accomplished the road base (the direct layer underneath asphalt) the accomplishment date was about 10 days ago,and he did not spray the bitumen spray the sealing MC yet and the layer for almost 10 days is subject to direct sun heating which I guess it affects the Moisture content i.e the density of the layer due to not treating it with MC to avoid evaporating the moisture from it and keep the moisture content with certain amount NOW:

1) Am I right with my concerns above??

2) If Yes what I should ask the contractor to do to rectify this problem ??

Answer
Dear Mick

1- The concept you stated may have been casually realized but just casually. In fact Mc  is not for keeping water from evaporation, it is to make a eefective goint between base and binder.

2- In fact the compaction should performed right after watering and if is not realized, you should ask the contractor to repeat watering and testing the base and do compact the base.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi