Civil Engineering/Shear Reinforcement in ETABS

QUESTION: I want to know how to use the value for shear reinforcement provided in ETABS output results when designing the beam for shear. Thanks

ANSWER: Dear Hasnain

Results of shear reinforcement are usually in (cm2 or in2 in m or ft ). Then it remains for you to distribute this amount via definite bars . For example 10 cm2 per meter may mean  rectangular stirrups (2 legs) of bar #13 with 20 cm of distance .

QUESTION: Thanks for you reply.

I'm using lb/in2 in etabs. And the usual results are 0.02, can you show an example of using it?

Dear hasnain

0.02 in2/ft is very small then the minimum reinforcement is required ( do you know how to calculate the minimum reinforcement ?) You will need a minimum reinforcement say # (1/8 in) @ half the height of the girder. Then you would distribute stirrups of #8 with 10 in of distance for a beam with 20in of height (effective height :d)

But let's guess you would need 0.2 in2/ft . if you used #b you would need 0.2/2 (2 legs# / .01226#area of 1/8 in bar) = 8.16 . Then you need 12/ 8.16= 1.47 in then you will need rectangular stirrups of 1/8 in of diameter with 1.5 in of distance.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran