Civil Engineering/Shear Wall and Raft

Dear Sir,

I have two doubts.

1. How do we design a shear wall( lift shaft walls) how to take the loadings and analyse it.

2. i have a multistory building with different column arrangements so how do i go about with design of raft.

I also wanted to know that for multistory building is it necessary to consider momnet for columns or we can design them as axially loaded columns only.

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Dear Hussein

Some of your questions are very general and very hard to reply briefly.

1- you must model the structure through a software like etabs, sap2000 , the analyze results will be what you need for design purpose. Loading must be done according to your local standards, like seismic loading, wind and so a on.

2- I cant understand this question.

You must take into account the moment in addition to axial loading. Sometimes it is possible for the designer to extract an equivalent axial load resulted from the actual axial load and moment and use it for a simplified approximated method . But this way is not for the final run and you should finalize the design with an accurate calculation using actual loadings.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran