Civil Engineering/about strain energy in structural analysis

can you please tell me the physical meaning of complementary strain energy,apart from mathematical expression?

Dear Kritam

Complementary strain energy or " stress energy " has no direct physical meaning. This is the area between stress- strain curve and stress or load axis. Complementary energy is a not realized energy which index the amount of plastic energy which is absorbed by the structural system. For a very plastic system stress energy tends toward zero. For a system with positive curvature of stress strain curve complementary energy tends to be more intensive. Then you see that no physical interpretation but rather a potential of energy absorbing is present in the definition of " complementary strain energy".

Dear Kritam

What is not clear? Complementary strain energy has no direct physical meaning. Please let me know your opinion.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran