Civil Engineering/Structural Engineer starter

Question
Sir thank you very much for a big help for sharing your ideas and knowledge. I'm a beginner when it comes to structural designing and i have a hard time learning because I have no mentor that can help me but because of the Internet , books, actual structural experienced it really a little help for me. my question are:
1. Im familiar with the etabs and safe programs is this ok if im using this even im that very good and expert for this program? say i rate myself (5/10) im using this just to study, experiment and for the behavior of the structure how it behaves. im just worried if hows my frame will react in an actual execution and service of my design structures.
2. what will be your suggestion and advice to be a good structural engineer?
3. Do I have to switch jobs and look for a designing firm that concentrates in structural designing?

Thanks and regards.
seco

Answer
Dear Seco

Future experiments will help you to get more familiar and expert in your field. Etabs and safe are ok. Knowing some other softwares like Ansys will help you to model complicated situations when needed. It will also open your eyes on new horizons in structural engineering. Getting more and more familiar with office , excel and access will increase your power to develop better reports.

I suggest you to have view on reliability theory in structural engineering. It will help you to decide in indecisive situations.

Have  more confidence on yourself because you and only you may know about your abilities and hopes as they are.

Good Luck
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi