Civil Engineering/Why use Normal stress formula to calculate Shear stress in bolts ?

Say a bolt is used is used to join 2 plates, Shear stress is Force/ bolt area.
Shear stress = P/A
This formula looks like NORMAL stress , isn't it ?
What is the stress distribution in bolts ?

But there is also shear stress = V Q /I b
Why not use the above formula to calculate shear stress in bolts ?
I am confused ?

Dear Ben

You know that VQ/IB is the shear stress related to moment distribution along the member span ( see popov )  then it is not suitable for a direct shear application like in a bolt.  in addition a plastic redistribution of stresses make the V/A formula suitable indeed with a carefully adopted margin of safety.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran