Civil Engineering/Vertical Earthquake Analysis on ETABS

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Khan,

Hope this message finds you well.
I would kindly like to know how we do the vertical earthquake analysis on ETABS using static analysis on the one hand and dynamic analysis on the other hand.

Thank you for your time,
Farid

ANSWER: Hi Farid,

For static and dynamic analysis you can make allowances for the vertical effects by adding a factor in the load combos, as per UBC-97 (+/- 0.5 x Ca x I).

Alternatively you can include acceleration in the Z-direction when selecting the analysis parameters.

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Khan,

Thank you for your quick reply as my case is very urgent.

What about unchecking the "Include Lateral Mass Only" in "Define Mass Source"? In fact I have read about it after I asked you my question and the Help section on ETABS says that we should uncheck it in order to consider vertical dynamics.

Moreover, I did not quite understand when you said "Alternatively you can include acceleration in the Z-direction when selecting the analysis parameters". Does this apply for the dynamic analysis?

Finally, I have read in section 1631.2 (point #5) UBC 97 that in dynamic analysis, "the vertical component of ground motion may be defined by scaling corresponding horizontal accelerations by a factor of two-thirds". Personally I understand from this that a scale factor of 0.666 (=2/3) in the direction of "UZ" should be introduced along with the initial scale factors of 1 in the directions of "U1" and "U2". Obviously all these factors are to be scaled accordingly later on after the analysis.

Thank you for your time,
Farid

Answer
Hi Farid,

Yes, what you say is correct.

Yes, when you go to analyis, look at dynamic parameters and include ACCEL Z in the Ritz Load Vectors.

Again, what you have quoted is correct, but that procedure is an alternative to the others I mentioned earlier (i.e. by adding/subtracting vertical load in the combos).

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan