Civil Engineering/Compact and Non compact sections

I want to ask that what are the limiting values that governs the sections as compact section and non compact section? What are limiting values bf/tf and h/tw  for non compact sections? Thanx,

Dear nouman

b/t and h/tw are very different according to the section you are using. The order of b/t is around 10 and h/tw around 100 for compact section , say I section.

for non compact sections these values increases by 50% for b/t and by 30% for h/tw.

But after all you shall consult your local standard and code of practice for real works.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran