Civil Engineering/effective length factor

I want to ask that what value of k (effective length factor) must be taken for a tapered section.. I have searched a lot but couldn't find any thing helpful.. The web tapers along the length of column and beam. and also is K value important in beams?  
For columns if base is pinned and other is free for sidesway.

ANSWER: Dear Nouman

The K factor is dependent of length, restraints of the ends of the column ( rotational stiffness of the member ends). For a column with simple supports in ends and without sway K=1.

For a column with simple support and free sway k tends to infinity.(instability)
For a column with fixed supports and no sway K=0.5
For a column with fixed base and allowed sway K= 1

For a complete study you would look up references.

Please feel free to ask further if needed.

QUESTION: Sir same will be in the case tapered sections?

Dear Nouman

For engineering purposes I suggest to use a mean value of I ( moment of inertia) for the column.

For the exact solution it is complicated. Take a look at the following link. For sure you would solve a complicated differential equation.

Please let me know wether you found your solution or not.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran