Civil Engineering/estimate:how to optimise steel rebar

Question
Im am a young engineer about to enter the industry of constructin residential houses.

My question is regarding estimating steel bars.

Usually as i understood, if a footing for example requires 10-3.00m bars,and if the standard bar size is 6.00m, we can easily compute the no. of required bars for say all of the footings. But my problem is in excesses, since not all designed bar sizes are acutually "exact". To elaborate: of 20mm bar needs only a length of 3.9m,and the standard size of bars is 6.00m,then there is an excess of 2.1m. If the structure doesn't really need that much 20mm bars, what happens to those excesses? do they become waste?which would just turn as losses for the company..

Suppose there is a given design, is there a systematic way of estimating to reduce these "excesses" to zero wastes? kind regards

Answer
Hi Nords,

Your questions are very relavant for the sake of optimisation and economy. The normal length of rebar is 12m, but you could also assume 6m.

The best way to economise is to use full lengths of rebar when detailing, or fractions of that, so that the wastage is minimised. But even if there are off-cuts, sometimes these can be used for making links (for smaller diameters), or as spacers (between large diameter bundled bars in beams), so if the contractor is clever he can keep wastage to a minimum.  

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan