Civil Engineering/Frames

Hello.. What is effective length factor for major axis and minor axis?

Dear Nauman

Effective length factor(of compression member) is a factor  depending on support situation of column and whether the lateral sway of the frame is allowed or not. For a non sway frame and columns with assumed hinge support each end, the K can be assumed to be equal to 1. for more restraints in supports  the K will be reduced and it can be minimized to 0.5. But for sway allowed frames K will be greater than 1 and in worst situation it may tend to infinity ( actually more than 10).

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran