Civil Engineering/Frames

Question
Hello.. What is effective length factor for major axis and minor axis?

Answer
Dear Nauman

Effective length factor(of compression member) is a factor  depending on support situation of column and whether the lateral sway of the frame is allowed or not. For a non sway frame and columns with assumed hinge support each end, the K can be assumed to be equal to 1. for more restraints in supports  the K will be reduced and it can be minimized to 0.5. But for sway allowed frames K will be greater than 1 and in worst situation it may tend to infinity ( actually more than 10).

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi