Civil Engineering/Horizontal Pressure from Neighbour footing on Retaining Wall

We are planning a basement for one building. there is a existing building in neighbour.

How do I calculate the Horizontal Pressure which will come due to these neighbour foundations on my proposed retaining wall ?

Am Attaching a pic showing the arrangement.

ANSWER: Dear Seyed

You should consider the retaining wall with loaded soil behind it. The general formula is Fh = Ka ( soil weight + Neighbor loading ) . But keep in mind that the distribution pattern of horizontal force due to soil weight is rectangular but the loading one is uniform and rectangular. Take a look at Bowles handbook. Don't hesitate to ask me if you have doubt.

Ka is the active coefficient of earth pressure.

QUESTION: I do not have the column load of the neigh. foundation.

However i know the SBC is 150 kN/M2

Should i consider this as surcharge load ?? So if Ka is 0.3

The UDL on the retaining wall would be 0.3X150 =45 kn/M ?? Am i correct??

please help

Dear Seyed

You should investigate the neighbor building and have a clear view of the actual situation. I don't have any idea about the loading , you can get it with in situ investigation. Assume that you found that a pressure of 20 KN/m2 ( be careful about the units) is present under neighbor foundation then you can accept that this loading have a semi infinite nature in area of action.

Then you can accept that the lateral pressure due to this item is about 0.3 x 20 = 6 KN/m2. I guess this quantity I found out is not very bad to follow, but you must to have your own idea about the actual situation.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran