Civil Engineering/Hydrology and Hydraulics

Question
what is the Difference between Hydrology and Hydraulics ?

Answer
Dear Suraj

1- Hydrology is about the sources of water in environment, amount and frequency of rain or snow falls, the amount of water in reservoirs. It is mainly used when doing feasibility study to construct dams or flood channels. we need it to design the seewage network in cities.

The Hydrology is about to calculate the amount of water the installation is cities or rural areas must be designed for.

2- hydraulic is about to sizing and design of water related installations. In hydraulic we mainly use the quantities resulted from hydrology.

let try an example : You need to construct a pipe channel to prevent the flood in your area.

Hydrology gives you the amount of water to be managed and hyraulic gives you the forces and disciplines to size the pipe according to data from hyrology.

Regards
BEH

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi