Civil Engineering/modifing footing column

QUESTION: i design footing column early and fill concerte in site ,after this architect modifing the design and there is also structural modification.previously 40*40 now 50*50 .i decide removing only concrete of footing column add reinforcement around previously footing column add stirrup between the old and new the bond be good or add any comment idea please.sorry for my english thanks

ANSWER: Dear Temesgen

Your method is ok , I suggest you also to ask the engineer to have a recheck for the 40 x 40 column. I guess for the type of buildings in Europe , 40x40 for columns may be ok. It depends on the engineer opinion and idea. Please let him to recheck. After all it is his responsibility, my comment is just a comment, not more.

QUESTION: my question is footing pad and footing column already build.architect modifay the building plan.the load from upper floor increase footing pad is enough but not footing column. There is change in footing column dimension from 40*40 to 50*50. inorder to save footing pad concrete  and also structure to be stable what you recommend.sorry for my english thanks

Dear Temesgen

As you suggested yourself it is recommended to remove the footing column cover and add additional rods and shot or pour concrete to increase 40x40 to 5x50. But I suggested you to ask the engineer to have an extra check to be sure whether it is absolutely necessary to increase 40x40 dimension to 50x50  or not. I think a review of the design may be helpful to prevent additional activity or waste of time and material.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran