Civil Engineering/pile design

Question
Dear sir

Is there any specific detailing method to pile R/F in the pile cap.
1. straight and bend L shape at top of the pile cap
2. curved shape within pile cap and the basis of it

kind regards

Priyantha

Answer
Hi Priyantha,

I do not quite understand Q2, but this depends on the plan shape of pile cap. If it is a 2-pile cap, then using truss action analogy, you need all your tension bars at the bottom, bend upwards as an L along the sides. This should be both ways and for small pile caps without much bending from the column you do not need any top rebar.

As for the rebar from the pile, just take it straight up and so long as compression bond length is achieved there is no need to bend the bars into an L.

This website has examp;es of different methods of detailing:

http://www.google.co.ke/search?q=pile+cap+reinforcement+details&tbm=isch&tbo=u&s

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan