Civil Engineering/planning,scheduling,optiziming,etc.

Hello, i am a young engineer entering the industry of building high-cost residential houses, those which rich people can afford, as a Project engineer.

As my Project Manager to be has said, I must be able to create plans and work schedules to be followed so as to have as to have deadlines, so that that there would also be a "parallel" schedule when the suppliers would deliver and subcontractors to come in.

It's been long since i graduated and i have forgotten much of the theory on project make matters worse, my work starts in just a few days! Do you know of a site,preferably with diagrams, which is concise but elucidates topics such as : How to create program of works, PERT-CPM, S-curve..I know this three things are interrelated.

Or if no link is available, what advise would you give me on how to create the program of works, S-curves,etc. so as to optimise project const. through planning? Kind regards..

Dear Nords

You should follow theses steps for planning :(with resource)

You can use excel for preliminary planning

1- Draw your idea about the main topics of your projects. (work breakdown structure)
1- list the activities title
2- assign them a code like 1, 2 , 3
3- write down which one of activities is predecessor and successor of which one .
you should have 2 columns for successor and predecessor

4- assume duration for each activity according to nature and man power you guess you will have access to.

5- Draw a pert scheme showing the interdependency of activities.
6- analyze all existing paths from start to end. The longest duration is the project duration.
7- A pert chart shows you activities in vertical axis and the time in horizontal axis.
8- In any date you can calculate the man power you  will need.
9- For any activity you can calculate the total man power you will need.
10- Any delay in critical path( longest duration) will increase the project accomplishing time.
11- The amount of various man power or any other resource you will need may have fluctuation during the time of the project ( in the first month you may need 300 man hour and in the second 400 man hour , this fluctuation may make troubles inside the project) . In this situation you may need to assume a relatively uniform man power and change the activity duration and check the total time of the project.

please give me your e-mail address so that I can send you a manual. Don't hesitate to ask me if needed.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran