Civil Engineering/Speed Bumps on Roads.

Speed Bump 1
Speed Bump 1  
Speed Bump 2
Speed Bump 2  
QUESTION: Dear Babak

Do you feel are there advantages in building Speed Bumps
on Roads ?.

The Basic reason for building speed bumps is for the vehicles to slow down the vehicle/s.

Could this be the applications of building Speed Bumps ?.

1. Level Crossing Ahead after crossing the speed bump.
2. School Ahead after crossing the speed bump where children may cross the road.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Dear Prashant

You have responded yourself your own question. Definitely Speed Bumps are used to control speed in residential and educational or crowded  areas.

School Ahead Traffic Sign
School Ahead Traffic S  

Level Crossing Ahead Traffic Sign
Level Crossing Ahead T  
QUESTION: Dear Babak

Thank you.

School Ahead, Level Crossing Traffic Signs are already available on the road. Do Speed Bumps provide an additional security measure so that the
driver slows down the vehicle on reaching speed bumps ?.

Are there any disadvantages of building speed bumps on roads ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Dear Prashant

Speed bump has to be used in composition with all the signs and warnings. If not it may be dangerous when a speedy vehicle reaches the location. It is convenient to use warning pins far from the speed bump to warn the vehicles getting close to bumps.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran