Civil Engineering/Structure

Question
Hello Sir. I want to ask that if we have to design a frame and its columns and beams fail in slenderness what should we do? (pinned supported,height 10m, height of frame cannot be changed) and if it fails in bending (about its major axis) than should we increase web depth or the thickness of flange should be changed? Also if it fails in compression? (1 failure at a time) Thanx.

Answer
Dear Nouman

For compression you should focus on gyration radius or moment of inertia in a view. Usually designers make a larger section with same profiles or plates. After all to increase the area of the section would be the last solution.

For bending you should increase area of flange . To increase the girder height would be a good solution unless the height to thickness ( dw/tw )of the web make you restricted.

Regards
BEH  

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi