Civil Engineering/managing older people

QUESTION: I am still a young last work related to eng'g was in managing 2 simultaneous projects with a mass a off people more experienced than I. I was the Project Engineer..just to give me advise, what should i do or develop to  become a better manager in the future.kind regards

ANSWER: Dear Nords

I suggest you 3 steps to success:

1- Be patient and don't leave a problem in your works without solving it. Even if you are giving up  your work , give it up after you resolved all your due problems.

2- Write down and make documents to simplify your work process. Pre and post documentation is the key of success.

3- Learn, study and ask : these are green signs toward success. Never give up learning.

QUESTION: tnx for your concise answer.. But the problem still is, if I am put into a position such as a Project Engineer, that would mean i am in a managerial post. The problem is, how to make a foreman follow my lead if he is older than me and much more experienced..You know what i mean? how do i get around this?

Dear Nords

This is a psychological matter. An older agent may need your respect. Then instead of showing him your authority you must show him that you need him and respect him. For instance you can ask him to help you to develop a method for the work you want to do. don't say " I did that work" but " we did it". Be patient and take some times to have lunch with him and ask him to give you some advice about the work. Acknowledge him in presence of others. He must know that you  are strong but want him beside you.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran