Civil Engineering/toal mass

QUESTION: Dear sir,
I used ETABS vs9.5 and created a model than I look at the building output at group and group mass and weight with kip- Ft and the problem are that the result of total mass x is too small to accept.When I compare the result with my friend whose model is smaller than me the result is a great different. My result is almost ten time smaller than her though we use the same applying load. I apply the load according to UBC 97 on deck sheet of 6 in thick.I want to request u to give me some suggestion that will highlight the error I have made.

ANSWER: Dear Seng

I guess it is because the weight of the structural members you have defined to be added on dead load. Please check it and let me know.

QUESTION: Dear sir,
I checked all dead load and reanalysis but nothing special then i saved this file as another once this time it show the possible result. It is really strange.How do u think about that?

Dear seng

Please send me your file in 9.7.2 version and lower, along with the exact problem you have with. You can send me the file of your friend as well.

my emails:

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran