Civil Engineering/dam

what is meant by a dam efficiency?

Dear Min

Efficiency of a dam means the ability of the dam to make use of all water resources without spoiling them. Sedimentation has an undesirable effect on the dam efficiency. The efficiency of the dam is related to the maximum residence time of the water before being obligated to leave it to flow out of the targeted service and consummation. Then efficiency of the dam is affected by the watering regime of the area where dam is located.

Efficiency may be relative or absolute. If the dam is spanning a river which is gathering 50% of water resources in the area then the absolute efficiency of the cant be reach more than 50% , but this dam can be assessed by its own and its efficiency may be calculated compared to a basis of 100%. If in an area you have 2 rivers and it is necessary 2 construct 2 dams the each dam may be assessed on the basis of the area hydrological properties or on the basis of its own river the maximum quantity of which can be considered as 50% or 100%. After all a 100% of efficiency is impossible to reach.

Civil Engineering

Babak Esmailzadeh Hakimi

I can answer questions in Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering, Project Management and Project Control topics!

I am experienced in the area of earthquake engineering in electrical power industry, i.e. Lifeline Earthquake Engineering. My focus has been on structural seismic design of power installations. Recently I have got involved in project management in the category of constructional engineering.

Sinam Consulting Engineers Co.

Bs degree in Civil Engineering from Ferdowsi University ,1988, Mashhad Iran, Ms degree in Earthquake Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1993, Tehran, Iran