Civil Engineering/Diaphragms extent and wind loading in ETABS

Question
Dear sir,
I understand diaphragms are for in-plane stiffness when we talk about lateral loads and to transfer lateral loads. I am talking about this concept rather....

Here I want to ask about the wind loading applied to stories in ETABS...For that you have to have a diaphragm for ETABS to calculate the exposure widths...

My question is if i have a rectangular structure...down to top full concrete wall at perimeter...but inside that the actual structural is only at the middle...in the center...this is like an idealized structure to ask the question!

How would we then apply wind loading in ETABS...if we apply diaphragm only on the main structure and leave the perimeter wall  then how we will load perimeter wall with wind?

If we apply diaphragm(in this case semi rigid may be) to all the area including the open space between the perimeter wall and the middle structure...is it more realistic.?

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Waseem,

As you correctly note, for ETABS auto-wind calculations, you need to have diaphragms at each level. In cases where the structure has voids (or say you have a double volume atrium), you need to work out the wind loading manually and apply it at each level- either as a line load on beams or point loads at the nodes.

Alternatively you can introduce vertical area objects (with reduced stiffness)along the building periphery and select that option when defining the wind loading within ETABS.

It is not advisable to introduce diaphragms where there are no floor slabs, but you can include points within your defined diaphragm.  

Civil Engineering

Arshad Khan